UPSURGE will support innovative startups headquartered across Central Florida, with particular focus on the 162 Opportunity Zones throughout the 13 counties directly served by StarterStudio and WAVE.
StarterStudio serves a five-county area that includes Orange (FIPS: 12095), Osceola (12097), Seminole (12117), Brevard (12009) and Volusia (12127) Florida. WAVE serves an eight-county area of Hillsborough (12057), Pinellas (12103), Pasco (12101), Manatee (12081), Sarasota (12115), Polk (12105), Citrus (12017) and Hernando (12053).
According to the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council (TBRPC), which maintains the CEDS plan for the Tampa Bay region, critical issues that hinder regional economic growth include:
1) limited economic diversity, with a strong reliance on construction and tourism
2) limitations in a skilled workforce for innovation economic development
3) lack of funding for small business development.
MyRegion.org, a planning council for Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Brevard and Osceola Counties, has identified the following recommendations in the latest CEDS:
1) attract and retain knowledge-based industries and an innovation workforce
2) move towards a greater share of high technology and science-based economy
3) reduce the impact of job losses created by the Space Shuttle program retirement.
# Companies Served by Tampa Bay Wave and StarterStudio
# Investors in Network
# New Jobs Created
In Opp Zone
Out of Opp Zone
“UPSURGE helped me understand more than just venture capital- it made me realize why early stage tech was crucial to my community and region."
NAME / JOB / TITLE
“Upsurge isn't just an investors' network - its a gift to the Florida tech ecosystem. The team latches on to the startups from day 1 - so you know your investment company is being well cared for and tracked."
NAME / JOB / TITLE